Saturday, August 15, 2026

can I borrow your underpants for 10 minutes?

When I was at the tender age of nine years old, my parents thought it would be a good idea to show me Sixteen Candles—you know, the classic John Hughes coming-of-age film starring Molly Ringwald.

ultimate mega-babe

Yeah.  I have no fucking clue why they thought that film was appropriate for a third grader, either.





I only remember two things from the first time I watched Sixteen Candles:

1. Sam gives her underpants to a weird boy 

2.  I lied.  That's the only thing I remembered. 

To innocent little me at the time, Sixteen Candles was a horror movie.  I may not have recalled much of the plot, but I remember the genuine terror that film instilled in me the first time I watched it.  Being a teenager was the most frightening thing I could conceive of. 

I'm no longer in my teens—I'm far past them, as a matter of fact—but damn.  I just re-watched the movie for the first time in over a decade, and I'm really pissed off I didn't take the time to do so when I was in high school. I would have found it really cool and funny.  I still find it cool and funny, but it doesn't hit as hard now since that teenage stage of life is behind me, and all I have are broken shards of memory and regret as to how I wasted away such a formative period in my life, yadda yadda yadda. 

There are quite a few dirty jokes (as well as a few slurs) thrown around in the movie, and as I watched it, I became increasingly perplexed as to why my reserved and mild-mannered parents would show it to their little daughter they sheltered with such fervency.  I mean, at least half of those jokes must've flown over my little nine-year-old head.  And, as I mentioned earlier, the other half that did buzz into my brain terrorized me.  So that's great. 


These are some stills I liked from the opening credits.  The '80s had major swagger.  It just feels so right to be a teenager during that time.  *le sigh of being born in le wrong generation*







The ~mis-en-scene~ in each bedroom was pretty impeccable.  My high school film teacher would be really proud that I remembered that term.  





I think I have a crush.  Is this what they call swooning?


I feel like this would be a good reaction image for something, but I'm not clever enough to come up with such a scenario. 


More ~aesthetic~ stills



This image is a metaphor for my life

This part was soooooo cute

The main part I DIDN'T like was the end.  I guess you could say it felt too rushed.  Like....she gets in the car with this guy she barely knows and has never spoken to (yet somehow has a crush on), and they just automatically go off and have a grand time together?



Why does she wish for him?  What does she like about him other than the fact that he's cute? Would anyone realistically go to a stranger's wedding and wait for someone they barely knew?

Call me cynical, but I'm calling bullshit. 



Man, no wonder I feel like my teen years were half-lived if this is the kind of expectation I was up against.  Life can not be a John Hughes movie.  I guess that's what makes it worth watching. 



No comments:

Post a Comment